School environments are healthiest when kept clean and well maintained. Consistent, everyday cleaning processes ensure a safer, healthier facility. Having a solid maintenance plan in place that includes procedures for cleaning all parts of the school is important. Below are tips on the main areas to focus on.
By cleaning a surface, you are removing dirt and other physical impurities. A disinfectant will be required to kill any germs living on surfaces or objects, an essential step to re
ducing the spread of disease at the facility. Daily cleaning should include the sanitization of commonly touched objects and surfaces such as desks, doorknobs, keyboards, tables, etc. The flu virus can live on a surface for up to 24 hours. Routine cleaning, especially during flu season, will greatly reduce the virus from spreading. As always, follow label directions on all cleaning chemicals and pay attention to any hazard warnings.
At the Cleaning Company, we use color-coded microfiber cloths to for best practice to prevent the spread of infection and cross contamination.
Proper training means having a step-by-step procedure for workers to follow — a standardized, repeatable, trackable pattern. First, identify all the steps necessary to clean each area. By eliminating wasted motion, the daily process can be reduced to about seven steps, and a worker will have to make only a couple of decisions. These steps incorporate consistent, reliable, sanitary cleaning standards. The process should eliminate all guesswork by mapping detailed routines and methods for workers and training them accordingly.
While routine cleaning when school is in session is important to maintain a healthy learning environment for students and staff, deep cleaning during extended breaks is just as important. Deep cleaning not only helps to improve health and safety, it also reduces the cost and need for repairs and replacements.
Target areas include:
- Restrooms, gyms, and locker rooms– Floor to ceiling sanitization ensures that all surfaces are disinfected and clean. Always clean from top to bottom, and always clean from dry to wet. Some key steps includes: flush all toilets and urinals first, and apply a precise solution of disinfectant. Let stand 10 minutes while handling other tasks. Refill all soap, paper and tissue dispensers, empty trash containers. Continue cleaning from top to bottom; disinfect door handles; and flush handles and faucets every day. Rinse and clean buckets and mops thoroughly when done. Cleaning and repairing tile and grout also can improve the slip resistance of the flooring.
- Carpets and floors– Clean, shiny floors are not only an important part of making a great impression but will also last longer when kept well-maintained. Set out the “Wet Floor” sign first. Move the dirt from walls and fixtures onto the floor, where it is easier to sweep or mop. Dirt and pollutants can heavily build up in carpets and have been shown to irritate asthma and allergy sufferers. Deep cleaning of carpets should include extraction and sanitization, while hard floors should be stripped and waxed.
- Foodservice areas– Cafeteria areas need to be routinely cleaned as they include a lot of high touch objects and surfaces. A deep cleaning of the floors and equipment that food is prepped in is also necessary.
- Windows– Windows should be washed inside and out for maintenance and to ensure they are effectively bringing in the most daylight possible.
- HVAC units– To keep HVAC systems running properly, preventative maintenance is key. Washing down vents to allow max air circulation, cleaning coils, and changing air filters improves air quality and kills bacteria buildup.
A clean place is a safe place. Always keep in mind that cleaning is not just about appearance; it’s about maintaining a healthy and safe environment. It is now more important than ever with the threat of the CoronaVirus that you engage local Cleaning professionals to keep your school sanitized and safe.
At The Cleaning Company ,we have a Rapid Response Team assembled to quickly and safely disinfect your school, facilities and on campus area. Call us at 858-260-4321 immediately and we will have one of Cleaning Consultants to your school in 24 hours.
Get In Touch
Main Office: 858.260.1090